Forget your diet for one day and enjoy this cake. I love to use food coloring to turn the coconut into green grass and add jelly beans to look like colored eggs.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, butter or margarine
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- Grease and flour two 8 x 1/2 inch or 9 x 1 1/2 round baking pans or 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large mixing bowl beat shortening, butter, or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each. Add dry mixture and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or till a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layer cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks or place 13 x 9 x 2 inch cake in pan on a wire rack. Cool thoroughly.
- Frost with desired frosting.
- Color coconut with green food coloring and add colored jelly beans to the top.