Two summers ago, my husband and I worked at an beautiful RV park at the base of the Big Horn Mountains in Shell, Wyoming. I will never forget elk roaming through the camp, a cattle round up right outside my RV window, the winding mountain road past waterfalls and unique rock formations on the way to the summit, and the quaint lodges available for skiers in winter and fishermen in summer and their fabulous restaurants.
The people we met were down-to-earth Wyoming residents including farmers and ranchers in addition to the park visitors. I’ll never forget one set of visitors. A lady, her husband, and a child camped with us for several days. After talking to these precious people, I discovered the child was actually their granddaughter—their son’s child. Though I didn’t ask, I discovered why the girl lived with them.
Their son and his wife had never wanted to have a child and when they discovered they were pregnant, they blatantly said they didn’t want the child. Our park visitors knew God was calling them to raise her. They eventually adopted her and now the girl is a delightful, well adjusted preteen.
Help along the way:
- When you’re feeling overwhelmed, acknowledge those feelings and remember you don’t have the energy you once had when raising your children, but you have much more to offer with the wisdom you’ve gained over the years.
- Take care of yourself by eating nutritious meals, finding time for plenty of exercise, and getting a good night’s sleep.
- Join a support group for other grandparents who are raising their grandchildren.
- Realize your grandchildren may lash out in aggressive behavior as they adjust to their new home, and offer love and support anyway.
- Encourage open and honest communication.
- Establish a stable home environment.
Lord, I pray for these generous servants—grandparents who sacrifice their own lives for the love of a grandchild. Richly bless them and provide for their every need. Equip them with your grace and mercy. Help them to show their precious grandchildren the same love our Savior has for us. Thank you for these brave souls for their reward will be great in the Kingdom of Heaven. In Jesus name. Amen.